skip to content

Degree Committee for the Faculty of Physics & Chemistry


Changes to your course include a change of registration (e.g. from MPhil to PhD), a change of Department, a change of supervisor, and changing between full- and part-time study.

Application guidance and futher information on these things can be found on the Cambridge Students websites:

Application should be made through your CamSIS self-service.

If you are a student visa holder, any change of course registration may require you to obtain a new student visa, and/or obtain ATAS clearance before starting your new course. Please contact the International Student Office before making your application to ensure you understand the implications in your particular case.

You will be asked to complete a new Financial Undertaking Form before your application can be approved.


Changing course registration

Masters to PhD (changing 'up')

  • You are not normally permitted to change course once admitted. Please do not start a Masters course and assume you can change up to the PhD after the first year.
  • If you wish to move from a Masters with taught elements to a PhD, you will be expected to complete your course before moving on to PhD study. A fresh application for postgraduate admission should be made to the University by the deadline set by your course of interest.
  • If however, you are registered for the MPhil by thesis and you have a strong academic reason to move course, you have sufficient funding to complete a PhD and if your supervisor is in full support, you can ask to be considered for a change of course to the PhD, subject to an assessment of your potential for doctoral research - contact your Department Postgraduate Office in the first instance. If you wish to apply to change registration, you must do this before submitting a thesis for examination for the MPhil.

Changing 'down'

  • If you are currently a PhD student (or probationary PhD), and you realise that doctoral research is not for you, you can apply to change to a shorter course - either the MPhil by thesis or Certificate of Postgraduate Study and finish early.
  • If you do not wish to be examined for any award and decide to leave permanently, you may simply apply to withdraw.

If you are ill or have some other major problem and would expect to be able to resume later in the year, you may wish to explore intermission instead.


If you can't find the page you are looking for or find a broken link do let us know (please use the email link in the 'Contact us' section below).

Office closures

The Degree Committee for the Faculty of Physics & Chemistry will be closed from 5pm on Thursday 28 March 2024 and will reopen again on Tuesday 2 April 2024.
Research degree theses should still be submitted by your submission deadline even if that falls over the holiday period.