skip to content

Degree Committee for the Faculty of Physics & Chemistry


We understand this is an uncertain time and you may be worried about the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on your studies. The University has worked hard with Departments and Colleges to minimise the disruption to your studies and examination, and measures have beeen taken to mitigate risks to health.

The latest University advice, including a section specifically for research and taught postgraduate students, can be found here. Do regularly check the page as it is frequently updated.

Your supervisor, Department Postgraduate teams, Degree Committee and College remain dedicated to giving you the support you need over this challenging period. Do get in touch if you need any assistance.

Additional advice to postgraduate students in this Faculty follows. It should be read in conjunction with the University's advice, and anything provided by your College or Department. Contacts for further help and advice are also available below.


Teaching, learning and supervision

  • The Cambridge Centre for Teaching and Learning offer a Technology-Enabled Learning Service to assist in the design and delivery of excellent teaching and learning, including blended and remote teaching.


MRes and taught MPhil students

  • The University expects that all full-time students will be in residence in Cambridge from ET2022, unless on an approved period of working away.

  • If you are concerned about your work or assessment you should contact your College Tutor as soon as you realise there is a problem, whether this is before, during or after your exams. Advice on individual adjustments mitigation can be found here: Exam adjustments  Exam mitigation


PhD and MPhil by thesis students

  • The University expects that all full-time students will be in residence in Cambridge from ET2022, unless on an approved period of working away.  

  • If you need to conduct essential fieldwork or research work outside of Cambridge (not study from home), and it is safe to do so, you should apply in advance for leave to work away through your CamSIS self-service. You must provide a risk assessment that includes COVID-19 risks and contingency plans. Details of what must be included in the risk assessment, and information about University insurance, can be found here: Safeguarding work away.

Supervisor guidance

  • University guidance for supervisors of research students who have permission to work remotely can be found here. It includes guidance on maintaining contact, student progress and support, first year assessment, final examination and other forms of support.


  • If you are self-isolating you should use the time to work on your research. If this is not possible you should investigate other activites related to your research, such as courses offered by the University's Researcher Development Team. You are not required to take the period of self-isolation from your annual holiday allowance.

Submitting your thesis

COVID Impact Statement: In recognition that COVID-19 may have impacted on your research, you are invited to submit an optional Research Impact Statement form with your thesis. Full details can be found in the Research Impact Statement guidance and the form for you to complete can be downloaded here. The Research Impact Statement form and guidance now also applies to any restrictions or difficulties experienced in undertaking your research as a result of the situation in Ukraine.

Deadline extension: If your progress has been impeded by coronavirus and you need additional time to complete your thesis, you may apply for an extension to your submission deadline through your CamSIS self-service. Please do this before your final submission deadline. We will be sympathetic to extension requests but before applying please do consider how an extension may affect your personal circumstances (financial, visa, future plans).

Doctoral students may wish to read the Advice on Doctoral Standards for Research Students and Supervisors which has been produced by the Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education in response to students' concerns about the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on carrying out research and completing their studies on time.


Help and advice

  • Questions about pastoral care, welfare, finance and counselling should be addressed to your College. If you find yourself in unexpected financial need due to coronavirus you can apply for University Hardship Funds;

  • Questions of academic support should be directed to your Department Postgraduate Office;

  • Questions about examination should be directed to the Degree Committee office.

If you can't find the page you are looking for or find a broken link do let us know (please use the email link in the 'Contact us' section below).

Office closures

The Degree Committee for the Faculty of Physics & Chemistry will be closed from noon on Friday 22 December 2023 and will reopen again on Tuesday 2 January 2024.
Research degree theses should still be submitted by your submission deadline even if that falls over the holiday period.